Friday, May 11, 2007

final evaluation and the singaporean in me

completed my final evaluation before the stipulated date because the school needed my results in. so it was done. perhaps by any other person's standard, i would have been considered to have done well, but by my own expectations, i think i have disappointed myself.

how shall i say this without sounding like a brat?

no other way to say it i suppose...

i think i deserved more marks. and although the marks were not the point of the evaluation, being singaporean, it still affected me quite a bit.

both my supervisor and i agreed that 4 weeks was too short a duration for me to be able to have performed at the best of my ability. I was only beginning to understand how things worked, and to finally get into the rhythm of the whole shenanigan... and then i had to leave. of course, my standard of performance would have been less adept as compared to a student who would have spent 6 weeks, and evaluated at the end of the 6th week. it was more a matter of experience, and ample opportunities, rather than ability.

so, i thought that given we had this mutual understanding, the grades should reflect the moderated score i.e. how i would have performed if given 2 more weeks. unfortunately, my sup felt that it was not necessary, and in her opinion, the score should reflect how i have performed so far. and that was not exactly what i had hoped.

of course, this was because i really wanted to get the clinical prize. and i am afraid that my chances may have been dashed because of this.

but there you go. its really the singaporean nature, that wants to achieve rather than considering the pluses of the experience. and how everything conveniently boiled down to grades and scores.

sigh.

p.s. i still hope that the moderation would occur. i will fight for it back in singapore. haha. sheesh.

No comments: