Saturday, January 31, 2004

Empathy VS Apathy

I have always though of myself as someone who has good social skills...and that is further enhanced by my personality - emphathetic and insightful. Well, one day, i was invited to attend a function which i did not want to go to, for some reason or another. Events took place which assaulted my hold on myself and i was utterly distressed by the end of the day.

and in that night, i passed a judgement.

judgement. the final announcement of a verdict that was arrived at through meticulous assessment, with no bias except to logic and evidence.

that is the supposed explanation.

but my judgement is intuitive and emotive, very biased towards what i feel is right. and what i feel should be.
that judgement i passed that night, was made in a state of elevated emotions.
that judgement i passed that night, was made by pure inference and background knowledge.
that judgement i passed that night, was not a judgement.

mooted by prejudice and clouded by emotions.
that was the state of my mind for the few days that followed. and i did not get any comfort from those close to me. i had to resolve the issue myself. no help came my way.

and it did not help that the ones close had a mask of apathy. which i misread and thus unfairly judged them too. but where does the line in between standing up for what you feel is right, and being passive just because you do not think you can do anything, lie?

my empathy almost destroyed me. their apathy almost destroyed what was left of me.

between them and me, i am almost gone.


No comments: