Monday, January 03, 2005

the quake that shook the world

I know I haven’t been updating a lot…because of my commitments and really hectic schedule…man, I even missed blogging throughout Christmas and the new year! But then, there is really nothing much to blog about, is there… there are much more important things happening that need the attention of the world.

An earthquake near Sumatra caused widespread damage, and claimed close to 200,000 lives when the consequent tsunamis devastated villages and destroyed entire tribes of people. God protect us from such calamities, and trying times.

This has to be the most frightful end of year event that I have ever experienced. To have such a terrible affliction come upon us, so close to where home is, and yet by the His Mercy, escape unscathed, is truly a reminder of how frail and helpless we are. It is also a reminder of our covenant with the Almighty, and that Man had better wake up, and realize how close he is to the end of times, and how necessary it is for him to return to his Lord, in humility and subservience. Indeed, Man has grown arrogant through the times, and forgets his duties and responsibilities to ensure the prosperity and harmony of Life. But we see Man taking lives, as if he were all-powerful; Man claiming victory over challenges he previously could not overcome; Man refusing to accept the proofs of the Creator; Man announcing his supremacy over all other beings; Man simply forgetting where he came from. The earthquake, to me, if anything, was a mere show of His Mercy – that while He could easily take everyone’s lives in the blink of an eye, He willed ONLY the earthquake and tsunamis, so that Man still has time to reflect and repent.

Masya Allah.

I was moved by the myriad footages that were shown over the media – of the waves rising onto the shore and inland, of the women and men crying over their lost ones, of the paths of destruction left behind by the waves, of the dead bodies being dumped in mass graves – the overwhelming sense of loss, grief and hopelessness. The humanity in me cried out for deliverance. And I needed to find an outlet to help those who needed it.

Alhamdulillah, with my NTUMS friends, I managed to help out at a collection centre for essentials items. Suffice to say, I did my part, however little it was. And it helped me move on from the grief that I felt.

I laud the efforts of those who continue helping to this day. May we all be judged kindly for our contributions.

And to everyone else, please do offer prayers for the lives lost, and pray for His Mercy upon our lands.

No comments: