Wednesday, December 05, 2007

the art of restraint

It really is easy to get yourself all worked up.
And while there are sometimes legitimate causes to it, the degree of the response can be overwrought.

And the ego pushes you to build upon that response, inciting it with more and more negative energy, until you become blinded to the fact that it is really not a big deal.

Which is why the art of self-restraint is so necessary.

It was so hard holding my tongue just now, because I was so annoyed.
And it was hard not saying what I really felt like saying. Literally fighting with my self to shut up, even though I was straining inside to bring up the issue just because I wanted to be sarcastic.

Look at that, I just wanted to be able to express my sarcasm. And I had to fight to shut up.

"A servant unthinkingly says something pleasing to Allah Most High for which Allah raises him whole degrees. And a servant unthinkingly says something detested by Allah Most High for which he plunges into hell."

Astaghfirullah.

I think I have caused others enough pain with what I say.

I will be held accountable for what I do.

I better start being more aware, and to restrain myself.

May Allah grant me mercy.

No comments: