Saturday, April 21, 2007

End of first week

Well, *blink blink*, one week is gone!
Time really flies when you least expect it… or time just moves along and you get consumed by it. However way you look at it, time just moves whether you like it or not.

Anyways, the first week at the hospital was really a non-event. Monday I met up with my supervisor, and got a brief walkabout of the hospital. And immediately attended ward conferences. Then on Tuesday I went for my home visit, and wrote the home assessment report. And attended more ward conferences and inter-departmental meetings. Wednesday, I saw my first patient, and documented for the first time. I also got my pager on Wednesday. Thursday, I went for my second home visit, and wrote the report for that. Met up with another patient later on in the day, and did some documentation. Friday, discussed learning objectives with my supervisor over coffee outside the hospital during hours, and did my first initial interview with a new patient. And Friday we ended early ‘cos my sup had to leave early.

Yeah, that in a nutshell was the first week. The words my sup used to describe the weeks to come were that we would “cruise along”. Which seemed to bode well, if you ask me. We sort of explored our expectations of each other and of the placements. I think it would not get too hard for me to be able to do well and live up to the expectations of the placement. I just need to be more proactive in my ways, I mean, given that this is a western culture that I am living in, I cannot be quiet or submissive or more deferring to authority… we are all equals here, and I need to show that I am capable of standing up for what I believe in, and in fighting for the rights of my patients. Haha. I sound so idealistic. But hey, we are all allowed to dream aren’t we?

I shan’t discuss much about the culture here yet… because I don’t feel that one week is enough to talk about much. But it will come.

It’s Saturday, and I just went out for dinner with my supervisor. That's Cindy to the left, and Lesley to the right. Cindy is my sup, and Lesley is my colleague at work in the OT department at St Vincent's.
Tomorrow is another day out to the tourist attractions with a friend that somehow managed to meet up with me here. So will post peektures as I get them. Looking forward to it.

No comments: