Thursday, November 25, 2004

story of a fickle fever

it began one night, when the rain fell most heavily. but i for one, never feared the rain. afterall, the coolness only made the night more comfortable to sleep in. as i prepared to tuck myself in for the night, i wondered, how nice it would be, if every night were as wet and cool.

as i drifted away into unconsciousness, i began to feel warm - uncomfortable and insipidous. my plan for a restful sleep became fitful. i saw weird visions, strange happenings. i was confused and very disoriented - until i woke up. looking at the clock, i realised that i had barely slept for two hours. and my body was burning up. i tried to force myself back to sleep - only to awaken at irregular intervals of minutes.

i could not take it anymore. i dragged myself up, literally. my limbs were like concrete slabs weighing me down. every motion was painful and torturous. into the kitchen i went, looking for some form of relief. panadol, water - whichever came first. i did not realise that my throat was parched until swallowing became a chore.
downing a glass of water, i trudged back into my room.

as i lay down, i could feel the panadol taking effect. little beads of perspiration formed on my forehead - a sign of the fever breaking. i thought to myself, everything is going to be just fine. its just a passing fever. as i fell back to sleep, little did i know how wrong i was.

when i woke up the next morning, the fever was back, in full force. taking my temperature, i found it to be 38.6 degrees. i was shocked by the intensity of the fever. my pulse was a rapid 120 beats per minute. i told my mother, who told me to take febricol, a stronger cousin of panadol, and rest. if it does not subside, then i would be off to the doctor's. well, wonder of wonders, the medication worked, for the while. the fever broke again. my mother made me take two more tablets in the course of the day, to ensure that the fever was really gone. we both thought the fever was gone.

i felt fine enough to go out the day after. but during the outing, my systems started to act up again. all holes were leaking, to be crude. and the fever came back. it was very unpleasant and inconvenient. i managed to hold on till the end, and reached home intact.

however, i broke at home.

that night, i did not sleep at all, because of the sheer pain and discomfort that the fever was giving me. every sleeping position was a different bed of nails. every breath was like having my lungs tugged at. i did not know whether to feel cold or hot. my body was warring with itself. i made my way to the bathroom, and doused myself. it was a wonder that i remained conscious throughout the whole ordeal. i believed myself to be capable of passing out anytime.

the rest of the night passed with no improvement to my condition.

and so i decided, like it or not, to the doctor's i must go.

but guess what fickle fever decided to do? when i reached the clinic, the fever subsided, and my temperature was normal. when the doctor examined me, she found no evidence of the fever. boy was i pissed. its like the fever conveniently decided to leave, just as i decided to get treatment.

fickle fever.

but thanks to all those who wished me well. i should be getting better soon. i hope. got a lot of jalan raya planned. :)

No comments: